Re: configuring fetchmail, exim and mutt for remote access

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 12:01:43PM -0800, Easthope wrote:
> Roberto Sanchez & others,
>
> At Thu, 25 Jan 2007 12:45:38 -050, Roberto Sanchez said,
> "Setup mutt on the machine and ssh in when
> you are travelling."
>
> It works as you outline.
> POP3 server, is on machine P.
> fetchmail, exim, mutt and ssh are on home machine, H.
> ssh is on mobile machine M.

You can setup mutt on machine M and have it just pull messages directly
from machine P via POP.  If you always want most of your messages
waiting there for you, then you can use fetchmail.  I think that exim is
not necessary for your needs.

> Also, thanks for explaining why the MAC
> address can not not identify H to the world.
>
> I wonder about streamlining even further.
> Ie., run exim and mutt, or other MUA, on M
> with M-exim communicating with H-exim by SMTP
> tunnelled in TLS.  A message would travel
> thusly.
>
>             SMTP
>    POP3    in TLS
> P =====> H ======> M-exim ===> M-MUA
>
> Any chance of this working?  Any tips on
> configuring it before I waste too many
> hours ... or days?

As I said, exim is probably overkill.  You can do what you want with
mutt+fetchmail.

Regards,

-Roberto

--