linux-image-2.6-486 vs. linux-image -2.6-<x>

Hi,

Is there a place where the difference between these latest kernel binary images is documented, other than looking thru the config files or the descriptions of the packages.

When I install Etch on my machine from the daily built, it pulls in -486.

With that and grub I can boot into a USB disk.

But when I install linux-image-2.6-k7 (my processor) the boot will fail, because he cannot find the root device, meaning the initrd failed somehow.

So it would seem to lie in the difference between the kernel images, but what is their difference?

Hugo