Re: Etch not booting on Adaptec 2420sa

On Wed, February 28, 2007 14:22, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 12:15:26PM -0000, Hans du Plooy wrote:
>> The Adaptec 2x20 series are hardware raid cards, use the aacraid module,
>> and to the linux kernel look no different to Adaptec SCSI Raid cards
>> that
>> use the same driver.  Very good cards, by the way..
>>
> Yeah, I saw that after I posted.  Since the pattern was the same, with
> the same suffix even, I thought it was just a newer model of the same
> thing.

Roberto, sorry, I only saw the further replies after writing mine.

Yes, it's a completely different chip.  I think I used it the first time
about two years ago.  I was given a backup server (as in space to put
backups on via samba) to set up - old P4 with a bunch of SATA discs and an
LSI card.  Performance sucked badly, I thought it was the megaraid driver.
 Ended up loading Win2k3 server with the newest drivers, and I still got
only about 6mb/s sustained.  Finally chucked out the LSI and got one of
these Adaptec cards - immediately the performance jumped to about
50-60mb/s sustained - which I think is about as fast as that P4 can drive
a gigabit NIC.

I've used the Adaptec cards ever since and they've served me well....

Hans