Re: OT: sponge burning!

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 11:38:59AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
>>
>> Name five American national-level politicians in your lifetime that had
>> moral fortitude.  You can't get that far in US politics without being a
>> scumbag.
>>
> Reagan

Absolute liar.  Preached smaller government and fiscal responsibility,
turned around spent more money than all presidents before him combined.
Only presidents who have ascended as a result of his legacy have outspent
him (and to date, only one: Bush Jr).  Introduced a policy of newspeak that
created the neoconservative movement and stripped everything remotely
resembling moral backbone from the Republican party and replaced it with
what pretty much amounts to "Whatever we can do to make the rich get richer
and keep the poor from ever doing better is a good thing" as a platform.

The guy was an actor by profession (and not a bad one), so it doesn't
surprise me that Reagan could pull off the act so convincingly.  He makes
Barry Goldwater look good.

> Colin Powell

That's one.  He's gotta be doing something right for his colleagues to call
him "Republican in name only," which as far as I can tell means he's
actually a Republican in the classic sense and not one of these
neo-conservative idiots that came around after Reagan to follow in his
mentally unsound footsteps.

> W (whatever you think of him, he *does* have moral
> fortitude).

He may have personal moral fortitude, but I question his professional for
the same reasons as Reagan.  At least W had the excuse of "We were
attacked."

Generally speaking, you're not going to find people who can take the Boy
Scout Oath without having to cross their fingers sitting on the right side
of the aisle ever since Tom McCall retired and died, and he wasn't a
national politician...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_McCall