Re: Laptop Recommendations?

It's interesting to see so many people railing against ATI cards and
preferring Nvidia these days.  I guess it depends upon your concerns.

For years now, I've always bought ATI to get usable 3D performance and
support out of the box on my Debian machines.  I just use the open DRI
drivers distributed with the kernel and Xorg.

I've avoided Nvidia to avoid the displeasure of trying to get kernel
support from the lists, and they won't talk to you until you reproduce
your problem without the proprietary drivers loaded.  I also don't like
to sit around waiting for 3rd-party drivers to come out.

I've come to understand that I'll not get compiz or beryl (flashy 3d
desktop environments) to work anytime soon on my ATI card, and I must
admit that I don't push my machine performance with many games.

Have circumstances in the Nvidia/ATI worlds changed?
--
John M Flinchbaugh
john@hjsoft.com