solution to prevent modules from loading

So here's what I did on my Etch system running kernel 2.6.18:

used modconf to make sure the modules I didn't want weren't in the associated manual module load config files.

installed the discover package (which uses discover2 as opposed to discover1)

edited /etc/discover-modprobe.conf and added the applicable modules to the skip line.

AND

made files /etc/modprobe.d with blacklist lines for the same modules.

AFAICT all of that was necessary.  Hopefully I didn't leave anything out.  It works for me now.