Re: documentation for novice and newbies

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 05:14:47PM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 09:24:35PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> Novicedoc is a much better name than newbiedoc.
> Now if we could find another word for newbie ... "newbie" sounds
> undignified, and, more to the point, pejorative.
> Let's not start by insulting our intended audience.

Horray, I'm registered on alioth as dtutty-guest!
Who else in this discussion is?  I think Andrei said he was (is that you
as andrei-guest?

Why not just drop the newbie in our documentation except where we have
it to be seen by google.  E.g. the debian site itself under support and
documentation talks about things for newbies.  A novice may choose to
search for stuff for newbies.

How about:

	alioth topic: system > installation/setup
	Novicedoc: Documentation for novices: people with or without
	prior computer experience who are new to debian.

	Alternate search words: novice, newbie

Right now, according to the search engine on debian.org, there are no
packages with the word 'novice' in their name.

It seems that an alioth project can be listed under more than one topic.
Debian seems to be for the debian stuff itself.  However, System >
installation/setup and System > systems Administration would seem to be
appropriate.

Doug.