Re: Attracting newbies (Was Booting Debian/testing fails)

On 06 Feb 2007, Freddy Freeloader wrote:

[snip]

> I also sort of feel the same as some others have expressed on this
> thread about Ubuntu leaving them cold.  It does me too.  I've tried it a
> couple of times and I've always been left feeling that the OS was
> "dumbed down".  Sort of like the feel I get from Windows.

[snip]

This had always been my impression too, but now that I've been forced to
use it, because Debian refused to make sound work on my mew Thinkpad, my
opinion has changed somewhat.

As regards its appearance, you can configure it as you like, and I've
got it to look pretty much the same as Debian for me. In fact, I would
hardly know that I was using Ubuntu rather than native Debian, except
for the fact that it installed Gnome at the outset and I've left it
alone, although I'm back using my favourite Icewm as window manager.

And I'm impressed by the comprehensive nature of documentation available
on the Net. A quick search on Google usually turns up step-by-step
instructions for whatever modifications you want to make and for
problems encountered. Information exists for Debian too, of course, but
it's often harder to find.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian