Re: Booting Debian/testing fails

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 01:13:07PM +0000, Wulfy wrote:
> Chris Bannister wrote:
> >For example, I prefer to set up my system the way I want to, I don't
> >want a GUI whereas a newbie doesn't understand a computer without one.
> >Already you have a conflict.
> I don't think it's quite that simple.  Just because someone "prefers to
> set up [his] system the way [he] wants to" doesn't necessarily mean "[he
> doesn't] want a GUI".  To some of us, GUI tools are more intuitive than
> the opaque, cryptic command line tools.
>
> Now if only we had *more* GUI tools (that weren't crippled 'cos they're
> for "clueless newbies(tm)") not instead of, but as well as the command
> line tools (for those who prefer cryptic and opaque)...  ;@)
>
> To stop any confusion.  I'm not "afraid" of the CLI.  I have been using
> computers for 30 years.  I just *prefer* to see what I'm doing and all
> the options I have without having to look up the man page (another
> cryptic and opaque part of the system) every time.
>
> The only time one *must* use the CLI is when X is down.

Sorry to but in, but FYI, the thread also has continued in "attracting
newbies [Was...].  We're looking at getting some documentation set up
specifically for newbies (computer people new to Debian) and Novices
(people new to both computers and Debien).  The idea being not to
dumb-down debian but to smarten-up novices and make them good newbies.

Doug.