Re: Booting Debian/testing fails

Chris Bannister wrote:
For example, I prefer to set up my system the way I want to, I don't
want a GUI whereas a newbie doesn't understand a computer without one.
Already you have a conflict.
I don't think it's quite that simple. Just because someone "prefers to set up [his] system the way [he] wants to" doesn't necessarily mean "[he doesn't] want a GUI". To some of us, GUI tools are more intuitive than the opaque, cryptic command line tools.

Now if only we had *more* GUI tools (that weren't crippled 'cos they're for "clueless newbies(tm)") not instead of, but as well as the command line tools (for those who prefer cryptic and opaque)... ;@)

To stop any confusion. I'm not "afraid" of the CLI. I have been using computers for 30 years. I just *prefer* to see what I'm doing and all the options I have without having to look up the man page (another cryptic and opaque part of the system) every time.

The only time one *must* use the CLI is when X is down.

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Respect the elders. Teach the young. Co-operate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between.