Re: Small Network Setup with Debian Router

On 30-jan-2007, at 16:40, Kristian Lampen wrote:

celejar schrieb:

On 29-jan-2007, at 21:57, Kristian Lampen wrote:

[snip]

> 3. I want to have the possibility to see the whole network traffic
> with
> the router. Not only the traffic from the PC's through the router
> to the
> outside world. How can I manage this? Do I have to buy a switch
> with the
> port-mirroring feature? If so, how do I have to connect it to the
> Router?
I've read something about using an old non-switching hub attached to
your network and an old cpu, running snort. This way you should be
able to sniff all traffic. Dunno much more about it tho, never tried
it myself.

Although I have never used one, AFAIK that is exactly what a hub does;
it sends all traffic out all ports. Just be aware that this will
greatly increase traffic across all the segments, and may cause
collisions. That's why switches have more or less replaced hubs.

Another problem is that using a hub will give all connected clients the possibility to sniff the traffic. That is not what I want.

Hubs are available in different Onlineshops till now.

Just for the record, I was originally referring to a setup like in:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6985

This guy has a very nice setup where one machine sniffs all traffic with a non-switching hub and a handmade 'read only' network cable. Nice! Should do this myself someday... 8-)

Peter