Re: Debian, Iceweasle, Firefox!

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 07:01:30PM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:
> > I would argue that if the value of your User-Agent string affects browsing
> > habits, then the bug is with the website, not the browser.
>
>     This is a battle you, and anyone else who thinks like you, is going to
> lose.  Opera has had user agent munging for it's entire existence precisely
> because of these bugs in the website.  That's 10 years and counting.  It also
> isn't just some rinky-dink sites that exclude based on the user string.
> Banks, large news sites, places people generally want to visit on a daily
> basis do so.  Quite frankly Firefox is lucky to often be on the inside of that
> blockade.

the state of washington, which has really good online stuff, bombs on
the iceweasel string. Specifically the "payment voucher" (which is
from their perspective one of the most important things to get right)
from the sales tax reporting website gets all munched when it sees the
iceweasel user-agent string. I emailed them about it (they are
fantastic by the way and really happy to hear that there are other
OSes using their site. they even have both a "linux" and "other"
option for the OS when filing tech support emails through the webpage)
and that was indeed the issue -- unrecognised user-agent string. Now,
why they would put a very simple, text only, page into a setup that
depends on user-agent string is beyond me, but... there it is.