Re: Adaptec 1540CF (aha1542) not detected

On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 19:57 -0500, Oliver Twist wrote:
> greetings... :)
>
> I am trying to install etch RC1 on a old machine with an Adaptec aha1540CF
> ISA SCSI card, but cannot seem to get debian to detect the controller.

Being an ISA card it needs to be initialized by the PNPISA stuff,
perhaps in BIOS have the "PNP OS Installed" setting being off, so the
POST does a limited initialize of the ISA slot.

That is OLD stuffs, many people have forgotten how to do it. I wonder if
Etch will work with a 1540 card as a booting device. Maybe a 1542.

BTW, If I remember properly the 1540 (not 1542) cards didn't support
SCSI Hard Drives as boot devices. The 1540 was supposed to be the
"economical" SCSI card for CDROM, printer and scanner peripherals.
Mainly at the current time frame, SCSI Cards were exceptionally
expensive.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup