Re: Debian, Iceweasle, Firefox!

Iceweasel and Firefox are a different products, very similar, but different.
So I think that debian should no longer use firefox as a name for iceweasel package!

I will give you an example:
You are typing:
aptitude update && aptitude dist-upgrade

and after that you realize that you have no longer debian, but knoppix or ubuntu...
ups... they are very similar you can say, but did you want to change your debian to ubuntu?
I think: no!

Be realist, do everybody have a time to read all news carefully?

On 1/27/07, Roberto C. Sanchez < roberto@connexer.com> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 03:55:33PM +0100, Piotr Dziubinski wrote:
> Only Etch supports amd64, so I was forced to use Etch.

There is an unofficial Sarge release for amd64.  I use it on a couple of
servers and many Debian users the unofficial Sarge with no problems.

> Command I have used:
> apt-get install firefox
>
> NOT
> apt-get install iceweasel
>
> I knew exactly what I was doing, because my friend told me that there will
> be no longer firefox in debian, instead of it will be iceweasel, so I was
> curious what  will  happen  after typing:
  ^^^^^^^

Hmm.

> apt-get install firefox
>
> There is no longer firefox in debian etch, so after typing:
> apt-get install firefox
> I would like to see announcement: Firefox packages are no longer present in
> debian distribution, please try iceweasel.

OK.  Here are the announcements:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-news/debian-news-2006/msg00044.html

The debian-news item is from mid-October of 2006.  There was also Lots
of discussion about it on various Debian mailing lists.

> Do you see a difference?

Nope.

> I don't use aptitude, because I prefer command line.

OK.  Then 'aptitude update && aptitude dist-upgrade' will work just the
same.  Of course, it won't tell you *why* since you are not in the
aptitude browser, but aptitude works on the command line just like
apt-get and keeps better track of things to boot.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez