Re: AAARGH! I mean, Aptitude problems

On (25/01/07 23:53), Jim Hyslop wrote:
> OK, I seem to have got myself into a bit of a pickle here. I tried to
> install MySQL 5. Now, because of the various dependencies, installing
> MySQL 5 requires the latest version of a particular package which
> conflicts with my kernel (package: kernel-image-2.4.27-2-386).
> Therefore, aptitude has flagged my kernel as being broken, and must be
> removed. I DON'T THINK SO!!!
>
> How can I tell aptitude to fix the broken dependencies, but it MUST NOT
> TOUCH the kernel image?

In aptitude search for the broken packages (/ ~b) and install all the
things it's trying to remove  by hitting +.  That should get you back to
where you started.

For future reference Ctl+u will take you back progressively to your
starting point but only while you're in aptitude.  If you come out it
won't work.

> Actually, I guess if I want to install MySQL 5 I'm going to have to
> update my kernel, right?

Probably. I presume this is a sarge box.  I'm running Mysql4 on a sarge
box and so can't advise on that.  You could check out backports.

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...