Off Topic: Slashcode alternatives

Hi all,

I was looking into the possibility of setting up a website using
slashcode [slashcode.com]. On reading the INSTALL file that comes with
slashcode, I figured out that the requirement of mod_perl, TZ=GMT
(MySQL), and other perl packages makes it difficult to have it installed
without root access. In the end, slash needs to restart Apache too!

Are there other applications which are not as invasive as slash but
still simple and easy resources? The main features I liked in slash were
editor roles, threaded comments, comment scores and non dependence on PHP.

Thanks
KS