Switching to amd64 - is it worth it?

Hello,

This is not really a problem as such, merely a request for input and
interesting anecdotes: I am currently running an x86 sid on a Sempron
based machine. On one hand, I am happy with it because just about
everything I could ever need installs without a problem; on the other
hand, it feels like a waste not to run an amd64 kernel.

I have used this very machine with an amd64 kernel under Gentoo, but
it was a bit of a hassle: I do like things like Flash or the Java
plugin and while I managed to get all of them to run, it did turn out
to be a bit of a hassle to figure out what compatibility libraries to
use and to get everything to cooperate nicely with the 64-bit
libraries.

I don't do anything that needs vast computing power - I mostly use
that machine for web browsing, email and the occasional movie, all of
which works quite nicely with the x86 kernel and libraries. Is there
any good reason to switch to an amd64 kernel and if so, would I be
setting myself up for major headaches?

Any input will be much appreciated.
Thanks,
 -juergen