Re: How to get those nice console fonts?

On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 06:38:54PM +0000, Brian Potkin wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 08:33:05PM -0500, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 11:37:36PM +0000, Brian Potkin wrote:
> > > Hello Douglas,
> > >
> > > I was interested in your reply to Daniel particularily as I have spent
> > > quite some time endeavouring to get a font to my liking on a 19" TFT
> > > screen without a framebuffer. With a CRT it was easy with svgatextmode
> > > but the problem (as I see it) is that a TFT has to be in its native
> > > resolution, 1280x1024 in my case, to get clear sharp fonts. And that
> > > means using a framebuffer.
> > >
> > > You mention getting a 21" screen and so I was wondering whether it was a
> > > CRT or TFT. If the latter, is setfont alone sufficient to get small,
> > > neat and readable fonts?
> > >

> > Hi Brian,
> >
> > I don't mind receiving the personal mail, but this may be useful to
> > someone on the list, so I'm copying it there.
>
> That's fine but it's not there yet.
>
> > Sorry to tell you (and happy for me), its a 21" flat CRT drafting
> > monitor.
>
> I was given something similar but with a curved screen. No longer used
> as it took up an enormous amount of room on the desk.
>
> > Have you tried the console-setup package (I'm downloading it now) and
> > the console-terminus font?
>
> console-setup doesn't appear to do more for font choice than setfont
> does. I'm familiar with the console-terminus font. It is a nice font but
> not quite what I want, even with a frame buffer. In text mode it is too
> large.

I haven't been down to my computer (sending this from upstairs via ssh)
to check out the new fonts stuff.

My 21" does 1600x1200 @ 75 Hz.  Combined with hardware mpeg HD decoding
and deinterlacing on the nVidia card and it makes for a great
movie-watching experience.  I don't like the inherant latency (or
whatever its called) of an LCD that makes movement appear blurry.  I
just wish I could afford a 40" CRT.

Hopefully, someone on the list with an LCD has some input.

Doug