Re: can't configure emacs with aptitude/apt-get!

Greg Folkert wrote:

Do you have any of the files that use slime?

cl-swank, slime, any Steel Bank Common Lisp packages (sbcl), any of the
stump Window Manager... etc.

If you do, it could be causing the issue.

Thanks. I removed everything I could find that had anything to do with lisp, including ilisp, and aptitude still wanted to load ilisp and slime, which caused problems. This made me think something in the failed configuration was 'stuck', so I removed all emacs components again, this time purging the config files. (I remembered to rename my .emacs file first, just in case the purge would remove that too). This seems to have done the trick. I'm only dabbling in lisp, so i'll wait a few weeks before trying to reinstall slime et al.

So all's well that ends well. Thanks for your help. Any ideas what might have been the cause of the problem? I noticed that aptitude froze after some of the failed installs, and required 'kill'-ing. Maybe something screwed up there?

Thanks again,

Tyle