Re: wireless adapter/card recommendations?

Mihira Fernando wrote:

>> John C wrote:

>> > What I'm looking for is a wireless adapter that will work with a
>> > 802.11g 54Mbps router. I'd prefer an internal PCI card, but an
>> > external USB would also be fine.
>
> By any DLINK wifi card. They work with debian and if by any odd chance
> it didnt work off the box, the CD that comes with the card has the
> linux drivers.

Hmm ... Personally I won't buy a D-Link product ever again, after their
shameful treatment in 2006 of Poul-Henning Kamp, manager of a Danish
Stratum 1 NTP server, who'd discovered his NTP server was being swamped
by NTP requests from D-Link SoHo routers all over the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTP_vandalism
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/04/07/130209
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05/11/d-link_time_dispute_settlement/

It wasn't so much that they screwed up - we all make mistakes - it was
more that, when the situation was explained to them and they were given
the chance to make things all right, they threatened Mr Kamp with
lawsuits claiming he was trying to extort money from them (he'd asked
very nicely for his expenses in dealing with the problem ... which was
reasonable IMHO given that D-Link was making a lot of money from their
customers being able to use Mr Kamp's NTP server).

Mr Kamp has published the text of a joint statement suggesting they've
now reached a mutual settlement :
http://people.freebsd.org/~phk/dlink/
but I have to say D-Link doesn't sound exactly apologetic about it all.

If someone can point me to a D-Link statement making a proper apology
then I'll shut up ... :)

Until then, I urge you to consider boycotting D-Link products - even if
they _do_ work with Debian :-}

Cheers
Nick Boyce