Re: kmail SMTP problems

Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 13:46:27 +0100
> Robert Epprecht <epprecht@solnet.ch> wrote:

>> I try to set up kmail to use SMTP on google mail accounts. I have
>> tried to do this on my machine here (Debian sarge) as a test and
>> everything works fine. But (as a Gnus user) I do not need kmail for
>> me, but try to set it up on another machine which is a Debian sid
>> system. But whatever I tried I cannot send mail from Kmail there. The
>> mail just stays in the outgoing mail directory without any error
>> message being displayed. I couldn't find an error log file either.

>> How can I find out what the problem might be?

> Are you trying to use an MTA to send?

No, I try to use SMTP (from Kmail)

> If not then the fact that you can send using 'mail' is not relevant.

That was also my impression, but googling around I found a message
where somebody had the same problem and was told, that he would
need sendmail installed to enable kmail to use SMTP. This surprised
me, but I tried at least (using exim4 instead)...

> Check kmail's preferences. There is usually a setting like 'keep
> messages in queue', and kmail will not (try to) send them until you use
> the Send/Receive (or whatever it is called) button.

No it's not that. I have checked 'send now' (which works as expected
on my other test installation).

> P.S. Sorry for suggesting trivial stuff, but you didn't provide enough
> info so I'm just guessing.

Thank you anyway. Sorry for not telling all the details. I hoped somebody
could tell me how to get some kind of error messages so that I could
possibly fix it on my own.

Here is some more information:

I use pop to get the mail which is working (on both systems).
I use SMTP on server smtp.gmail.com port 465 with authentification
and TLS plain (like google mail webpage tells me to do).

Kmail tries to send but stays at 0%.  The messages remain in the
outgoing mail folder and are not moved to the sent mail folder.
On my other system (where I do not need Kmail but installed it
just to experiment with it) everything works fine (on the very same
gmail account).

My problem is, that I can't find out how to get an error message
or SMTP log to find out what's wrong.

Robert