Re: Etch becoming slower than Sarge?

On Saturday 06 January 2007 19:52, Marko Randjelovic wrote:

> In fact, I never figured out how they manage to consume all that memory.
> It must be they are working hard on it. :D

I have 1Gb ram and Etch still uses swap space (for god knows what).

$free -m
Mem:          1011        982         29          0        133        155
-/+ buffers/cache:        694        317
Swap:          953        103        849

I run everything from vnc. Most of my applications are memory hungry : KDE,
firefox, thunderbird etc., But this should not result in using swap space
continuously. When I reboot the computer everything looks fine. It uses about
300 MB in the initial stages. After some days (say 5-10) it starts using swap
continuously.

Besides being memory hungry, KDE applications spit out all sorts of errors
both on the konsole terminal and in .xsession-errors. Wonder if etch has been
tested as much as it should be...

raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Click to receive help removing your credit card debt
http://tags.bluebottle.com/fc/CAaCMPJkiZtfANqs3KlhCgMOPdnUqORE/