Re: Alsa needs reconfiguration after every reboot

I have a similar problem.  After I restart my computer xmms says that there isn't a soundcard. So:
1. I have to execute ./snddevices
2. Then, run alsa-config
3. Then run alsamixer (to unmute)

And then I have sound again.  Any suggestions to avoid having to go through this process?

Cheers,

-Cisco

On 1/5/07, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri,  5 Jan 2007 17:19:55 +0100 (CET)
Ferry Toth <ftoth@tiscali.nl> wrote:

> I have the same problem (Debian Etch 2.6.18).
>
> I have traced it back to /etc/init.d/alsa-utils not being called.
> See: /etc/alsa/modprobe-post-install.d/alsa-utils
>
> In my confiration ALSA should be configured from UDEV. But since the
> snd_maestro3 module is already loaded alsa-utils is not called and
> the sound volume is low is can hardly be heard.
>
> After running alsa-utils manually the volume is fine.
>
> (discover runs before alsa and says snd_maestro3 already loaded).
>
> The trick seems to be to prevent the sound modules from being loaded
> at boot, and have udev handle everything.
>
> But how do I prevent modules from being loaded?
>
> I must admit I have no idea what causes these modules to be loaded in
> the first place. They are not in /etc/modules...
>
> Ferry

Do you have alsa-base installed?

Regards,
Andrei