Re: small form factor recommendations

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 09:54:46PM +0000, Digby Tarvin wrote:

> I think the Geode is much the same - but I havn't seen any specific
> claim to Intel equivalent. The kernel supplied with it is 586.
>
> root@foundrylinux# cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
> cpu family      : 5
> model           : 10
> model name      : Geode(TM) Integrated Processor by AMD PCS
> stepping        : 2
> cpu MHz         : 498.119
> cache size      : 128 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 1
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu de pse tsc msr cx8 sep pge cmov clflush mmx pni mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
> bogomips        : 976.89

Interesting.  The cpu_family is 5 on that processor and it runs a 586
kernel, while the cpu_family on my Via is 6, but it crashes on the 586
kernel.  Also, the 128KB cache on yours is definitely better than the
64KB cache on mine.  For anything even remotely CPU intensive, the 64KB
is totally inadequate.  But in my case, I use it as a subversion server,
backup MX, backup snapshot server, and Apache/PostgreSQL development
server, LTSP test server and a few other miscellaneous tasks.  Since I am
the primary (really only) user of the system, it works fine for me.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez