Swapping archives between similar debian PC?

I have been trying to get the debian version of Ubuntu APTonCD to work on Debian 386 but with mixed results. I want to give the packages from my fast work internet connected PC to my slow connected home PC. Would it not be simpler to delete the /var/cache/apt/archives/ files and replace it with the same from the work machine? On first try it seems to work but I cannot be sure the resolving of dependedcies is working fully,
Anybody have experience with this?
Thanks
Don Parsons
dfp10@capital.net