Xemacs has problems

Since updating Xemacs to version 21.4.19-2 I am having problems with
dired-mode.
When I open a directory the listing shows the directory contents as it
should but also
displays  "//DIRED//" followed by a list of numbers (which I assume
might be I-node
numbers). I can get the extra info to go away by toggling "Hide All
Subdirs" on then
off again.

I also occasionally have to save files twice as the first attempt only
removes the old
copy and errors out on writing the updated copy.

Searching the Xemacs sites provided no help. I also have completely
uninstalled
and reinstalled with no change.

Any help and/or guidance is appreciated.

Pete