Sarge_Display_Problem

Greetings ....

  I'm running a dinosaur age vintage 1999 Compaq box
  using an up-to-date Debian Sarge OS that was first
  installed in July 2004 and has been running fine since ....

  Video adapter is on-board .... [SiS] 530/620 PCI/AGP VGA
  and default screen resolution is 1024x768 on a 15 inch monitor ....

  I started having some odd display problems a while back
  and it's now bothering me enough that I would like to try
  and correct it ....

  Symptoms ....

    o When I re-boot the machine or switch to a different
      virtual terminal the console display seems to be
      using a screen resolution that is too wide to fit
      the screen with several characters off-screen to the left
      and rendered in a large font size ....

    o At the end of the initial boot sequence when X first
      starts up the gray cross-hatched background doesn't
      fill the entire screen but leaves about a half inch
      blank border all the way around ....

      I use the kdm display manager and the blank border
      persists when kdm starts up and the login dialog
      is presented ....

    o If I select KDE from the login menu, then a few seconds
      into the KDE startup the blank border disappears and the
      screen is filled completly and all displays under KDE
      fully fill the screen as expected ....

    o If I select  any  other window manager from the KDM menu
      ( enlightenment, fluxbox, fvwm, icewm, xfce ), then the
      blank border persists and the screen is  not  completely
      filled ....

      Otherwise, displays with the window managers other than KDE
      are fine ....

  # --------------------------------------------------------------

  XF86Config-4 ....

    Section "Monitor"
          Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
          HorizSync       30-60
          VertRefresh     50-75
          DisplaySize     325 245
          Option          "DPMS"
    Gamma   1.00  1.00  1.00  # created by KGamma
    EndSection

    SubSection "Display"
          Depth           24
          Modes           "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection

  I've tried ....

    # dpkg-reconfigure XF86Config-4

    # xrandr

    # xvidtune

  Any clues and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated ....

--
Stanley C. Kitching
Human Being