Re: Etch becoming slower than Sarge?

On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 09:56:25PM +0530, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> On 04/01/07, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> >maybe its a memory issue? My understanding is that the etch kernel is
> >much bigger than the sarge kernel. that is entirely anecdotal as I
> >have no sarge box to compare to.
>
> Do you think I should suggest compiling a new kernel, lean? Of course,
> I thought the stock kernel Debian provides were modular anyway, but if
> you think this'd help, I'll try it out.

maybe you should investigate the a bit first. maybe put up memory/swap
monitors on the desktop so you can see whether its swapping or
not. that might help. that was just a suggestion. There could be other
things causing the problem. I think etch uns more service by default,
do you need all of them? etc. etc. etc.

but yes, if it comes down to a kernel size issue, then recompiling may
help.