Possible/reasonable to switch from unstable to etch at this point and track etch/stable going forward?

I have sid/unstable installed at the moment.

I would like to change this to etch, and stick with etch/stable for awhile.

What, if any, differences are there between etch, unstable, and sid at the moment (as Debian gears up for the next stable release)?

Is it possible / reasonable to change my sources.list entries from sid and/or unstable to etch at this point?

Thanks
R.Parr, RHCE, Temporal Arts