Re: acroread on amd64

Jerome BENOIT <jgmbenoit@mailsnare.net> wrote in
news:7yHT2-1d4-7@gated-at.bofh.it:

> Hello All,
>
> I have just subscribe to the debian-amd64 list.
>
> I have at list tow motivations:
> 1] indeed evince is very nice, but unfortunately some slides of mine
> are not exhibited properly with evince, which appear to be slower
> the acrread;
> 2] I would like to install mime 32bit Maple on my new amd64 box:
> if can install acroread then I hope to be able to install it.
>
> Jerome
>
> Douglas Tutty wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 05:23:59AM +0800, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
>>> does anyone succeeded to run properly acroread on Etch amd64 box ?
>>>
>>> I have follow the instruction in
>>>
>>> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianAMD64Faq
>>>
>>> but I get Pango critical messages:
>>> in fact it seems that the wrong Pango library is called (the 64bit
>>> instead of the 32bits).
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Jerome
>>
>> Hi Jerome,
>>
>> You may hit a more targeted audience if you submit and subscribe to
>> the amd64 list.
>>
>> Also,  what specifically is it you need actual acroread for?  I'm on
>> amd64 and find Etch's evince very nice.
>>
>> Doug.

Hi-

Since the Debian AMD64 is "pure", you will need to either use a gnome
based PDF reader or install a chroot environment for Debian that can run
a variety of other applications.  I've done this before and its not too
difficult to get done.  The AMD64 list can help you out quite a bit; but
just to cut through things a bit; I've compiled and installed mplayer,
acroread, 32bit firefox, and others.  A good starting point is:

One addition that I found out with the mount points is you probably will
want to include /dev so sound will actually work.

If you follow the leads in the article, you can run the 32bit goodness
with no real problems by adding the packages and doing the file edits it
shows in the article.

--
Michael Perry | Do or do not. There is no try --Master Yoda
mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org