Re: update messages

On Sun, Dec 31, 2006 at 05:31:59PM +0000, Digby Tarvin wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 30, 2006 at 04:59:40PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> > Digby Tarvin wrote:
> > > So what puzzles me is why it is no longer in 'non-free', and if
> > > it was removed because of some objection to the licensing terms,
> > > surely there should be something documenting this?
> >
> > It may have been removed simply because no one was willing to maintain it
> > any more.  That often happens when a non-free package ceases to provide any
> > functionality not available in a Free package.
> >
> > --
> > John Hasler
>
> Its not so much the removal of a package that disturbs me - it is
> the apparent lack of warning or explanation.

well, since it was removed from the official repositories in 2001:

it is very unlikely that you successfully installed it from official
repositories in 2006. you obviously installed it from another
source. so technically, it was not "Removed without notice". You have
simply lost track of where it came from ;-P

> It makes me rather reluctant to upgrade if some package that I have
> come to rely on might unexpectedly disappear - perhaps unnoticed
> until it is urgently needed...

that is the problem with using packages outside the official debian
repositories. You got caught because a non-official package you were
using has gotten out of sync with the official libraries that support
it. best bet is to file a bug report with the group that is supplying
the package. or use the source, luke.

> Another package I just noticed is missing since my dist-upgrade is
> xlockmore. I searched packages.qa.debian.org and all I found was
> what looks like an automated logging of the fact that the package
> is gone - no reason or dialogue that I can see:
> 	http://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xlockmore/news/20061119T233918Z.html
>
> Is there some mailing list I should be on to receive warnings about
> packages being considered for removal (assuming the disappearance
> was intentional)?

probably. or you can subscribe to DWN which will list orphan packages
and removed packages as they appear. the W is currently a misnomer,
but we are grateful for the issues we get...