Re:

Rick Thomas wrote:
> Package: gnome-desktop
> The computer in question is an OldWorld PowerMac Apple Macintosh,
> "Beige G3" tower.  This problem only happens on this machine.  It does
> not occur on my G4 test box.
>
> I'd very much appreciate it if somebody else with a beige G3 would try
> it and let me know if they see the same problem.

Sorry; don't have one.

> However, after rebooting following the install, and logging in to
> gnome, it seems to be repeatedly trying to start/re-start something
> having to do with the appearance of the desktop.  Things are very slow

> Finally, after 30 seconds or a minute, I get a pop-up that says
>
>         Question
>     The pannel encountered a problem while loading
>     "OAFIID:GNOME_MixerApplet".
>
>     Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration?
>     [Don't delete]        [Delete]
> If I click [Delete] it goes back to wiggling, but the popup doesn't
> reappear.
>
> After a couple of minutes of wiggling, I get a popup that says
>
>     There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon
>     Some things such as themes, sounds, or background settings, may
> not work correctly.
>
>     The Settings Daemon restarted too many times
>
>     The last error message was:
>         System Exception:IDL:Bonobo/GeneralError:1.0:
>         Child process did not give an error message,
>         unknown failure occurred.
>
>     Gnome will try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you login.
>                         [close]
>
> When I click [close] the wiggling stops and everything is (as far as I
> can tell) normal until I log out
> and try to login again.
>
> Anybody got a clue?

Not really, but I'd suggest trying with a different (preferably
newly-created) user (even root {shudder}).

I'd also look for any gnome-related log files in /var/log and see if
they provide any clue.

I'd do an "aptitude update && aptitude dist-upgrade" to see if any newer
packages solve the problem.

I'd search the bug database and general Google for this issue.

--
Kent West
Westing Peacefully <http://kentwest.blogspot.com>