Re: md5sum.txt corrupted? (Problem installing Debian "Etch" Snapshot 2006-12-11)

--- Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> escribió:

> On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 06:30:01PM +0100,
> sciencisto-debian@yahoo.es wrote:
> > Hi everybody.
> >
> > I've just finished download the Debian "Etch" weekly-build
> > (2006-12-11) and, when I've tried to install Debian, I've got
> this
> > message:
> >
> > "There was a problem reading data from the CD-ROM. Please make
> sure
> > it is in the drive. If retrying does not work, you should check
> the
> > integrity of your CD-ROM."
> >
> > In fact, retrying does not work. So I checked out the integrity
> of
> > the dvd containing the Debian Snapshot, and then I received this
> > message:
> >
> > "The ./md5sum.txt file failed the MD5 checksum verification. Your
> > CD-ROM or this file may have been corrupted."
>
> How did you check exactly?

In the (expert) installer menu, there is (at the bottom) a line that
says something like "Check the integrity of the cd-rom" (I don't
remember exactly what it says, but it is something like that). I just
selected it.

> > (I've got the above message with the DVD Binary-1 and also with
> DVD
> > Binary-2, which I also checked out.)
> >
> > Cause I received that message with the DVD Binary-1 and 2, I
> think
> > that there is some kind of problem about this snapshot (besides,
> the
> > downloading of the .iso files was OK, and also the recording on
> the
> > DVD).
>
> How can you tell? Did you use bittorrent or jigdo? Normal ftp/http
> downloads can get corrupted, so always check the .iso before
> burning it.

OK, I didn't check out the md5sum of the iso files (I think that I
didn't do that because I didn't see (?) the md5sum files of the
weekly build; I should have looked for them).

By the way, I downloaded them from cdimage.debian.org using
FileZilla.

> I will save you a lot of trouble.
>
> > Any idea about what's happening? Is there any solution?
>
> You should check the .iso files (if you still have them). If they
> are
> corrupted you need to download them again, but you should use
> bittorrent
> or jigdo this time.

I'll have that into account for the next time!

Anyway, isn't strange that almost every package failed the md5
checksum? (see my previous message).

Thanks for your help!