help with browser text disappearing

Hi,
Recently after upgrading my system the web browsers stopped rendering text most of the time. This is a problem common to opera, firefox and
epiphany, although epiphany seems the least affected while opera is the
worse affected. I am not sure what is causing this and so I do not know
what package to report a bug against.

Looking at the bug pages it is very similar to bug
but that claims to have been fixed and I am using the latest
version of cario.

I am running the testing distribution on a AMD64 system with a 2.6.16
kernel.

regards,
Neil