Re: smooth upgrades

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 11:33:10AM -0800, tom arnall wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me. By 'pointed at Etch', do you mean get rid of
> the 'testing' addresses and have only 'stable' in 'sources.list'? Hate being
> a nervous nelly, but it means a lot to me to get a solid os on my machine. I
> want to be able to promote linux among my friends, but can do this only if I
> can easily support them.

Hi tom arnall,

'stable, 'testing' and 'unstable' references in /etc/apt/sources.list
represent moving targets.  'woody','sarge',and 'etch' are non-moving
targets.  'stable' changes every release.  'testing' changes about every
10 days.  'unstable' changes about day.  'woody', 'sarge', and 'etch'
are released versions of the Debian OS.  During the development of Etch,
'testing' is where it lives. Now 'testing' is frozen, the stage its in
before its released.  When its released , 'etch' will be in 'stable' and
'lenny' will be in 'testing'.
HTH,
Kev