Re: smooth upgrades

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 11:33:10AM -0800, tom arnall wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me. By 'pointed at Etch', do you mean get rid of
> the 'testing' addresses and have only 'stable' in 'sources.list'? Hate being
> a nervous nelly, but it means a lot to me to get a solid os on my machine. I
> want to be able to promote linux among my friends, but can do this only if I
> can easily support them.
>
> tom arnall

Where you have deb http://???? testing main contrib non-free
substitute the word etch for the word testing: that way, when etch
becomes stable, nothing changes as you will have been updating based on
release code name rather than stable/testing/unstable (which are
symlinks in the mirror anyway: oldstable -> woody, stable -> sarge,
testing -> etch, unstable -> sid)  or thereabouts.
Once etch is declared as the new stable release, you can then change
the "etch" to stable if you want to for the sake of consistency.

HTH,

Andy