Re: smooth upgrades

On Monday 18 December 2006 11:10, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 10:59:26AM -0800, tom arnall wrote:
> > >
> > > Upgrades in testing or unstable always risking breaking our system.
> > > Once testing is frozen, this possibility greatly diminishes as the
> > > threshold to introduce new packages into testing is very high.
> > > However, right after release, testing can become a complete disaster
> > > for a month or so as all the packages that have accumulated in Sid
> > > start propogating into testing.  Unfortunately, propogations do not
> > > always come in the right order.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > -Roberto
> >
> > there are problems in my system from my last testing upgrade. Will these
> > go away once Etch becomes the stable distro?
>
> largely. Are you currently pointed at testing or at etch? If at
> testing, you might want to change to etch so you don't get caught out.
>
> my one etch server has really calmed down on the upgrades in the last
> couple weeks. Of course, there's not much on there (mail, imap,
> various shares, clamav and a couple others...).
>
> > also, what is the best way to find out when Etch has become stable?
>
> probably debian-announce.

> > thanks,
> >
> > tom arnall
> > north spit, ca
> >
> > Make cyberspace pretty: stamp out curly brackets and semicolons.
> >
> > Relax: the tests extend the compiler.

Andrew,

Thanks for getting back to me. By 'pointed at Etch', do you mean get rid of
the 'testing' addresses and have only 'stable' in 'sources.list'? Hate being
a nervous nelly, but it means a lot to me to get a solid os on my machine. I
want to be able to promote linux among my friends, but can do this only if I
can easily support them.

tom arnall