Re: Debian Etch or Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft) LAMP Server for LTSP

On Fri, 2006-12-15 at 21:00 -0600, Anthony M Simonelli wrote:
> I'm beginning to implement Linux at work and have a small HP Proliant
> ML110 G3 server with two 80GB drives to work with.  I plan on using the
> LTSP.org project to create 'sessions' for the new linux users since
> there are only two people (myself included) in the IT department and I
> think it will be easier to manage.
>
> My dilemma is that I am waiting for the release of Etch but now I'm
> tempted to use Ubuntu 6.10 for the job.  What would be the benefit of
> using Debian Etch over Ubuntu 6.10 (aside from not having to use the
> stupid 'sudo') since I've heard Ubuntu is better suited to the Gnome
> desktop user?  Is Debian Etch worth the wait for this particular
> project?

Sudo is very configurable, and you can always just set a password for
root if the box is going to be relatively hidden away anyway.

I recommend Ubuntu over etch for the purposes you describe. Regardless
of the politics between the two camps, you're still getting Debian.

Ubuntu is great for production (server) use as well as workstations.
Etch is also, if you're familiar enough with Debian to get around the
nuances that exist in beta builds.

For instance, Most of my servers (a few hundred and growing) are made
more stable using Xen with an Ubuntu dom-0, but most of the virtualized
guests are using Sarge / Etch because I love developing on Debian and
helping nail bugs in Etch.

When etch "bakes" a little more, I'll be using it stand alone more and
more in production.

Best,
-Tim