Re: Which version

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 06:54:30AM -0600, Troy Bull wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I am totally new to debian.  I recently downloaded and installed 3.1r4 I noticed that is seems
> very old.  Am I needing to update or something to get current packages?  I did apt-get upgrade
> and nothing was updated..
>
> I noticed the kernel was 2.4 something, and open office was 1.1.  These are two examples only,
> that make me wonder if everything else is equally out dated.  Should i choose a different
> distribution to get the current stuff?

Debian is known for having a long (compared to other distros) release
cycle. The good thing about it is that the stable release (which is now
sarge) is rock solid. If you *really* need new software you can upgrade
to testing (etch). Because etch is aproaching release it should be
pretty safe. Unstable (sid) is not recommended if you don't have some
experience with Debian.

Regards,
Andrei
P.S. If all you need is a 2.6 kernel that is available in sarge, just
not installed by default. You can also get more recent versions of
various software from www.backports.org
(Albert Einstein)