Re: dumb question about upgrading the kernel and SATA disks....

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 12:47:31AM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:

> >First you should try installing the kernel available in sarge. Use
> >
> >    aptitude install kernel-image-2.6.8-3-k7
>
> I did this. It worked.
> uname -a
> Linux spc1-burn4-0-0-cust262 2.6.8-3-k7 #1 Tue Dec 5 23:58:25 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux

Great. Does the SATA disk work?

> >or if you want to always have the latest kernel available in sarge then
> >
> >    aptitude install kernel-image-2.6-k7
>
> I did this one too and got the same kernel as above as far as I can see.  The boot up menu now
> lists these various kernel options to choose from as well as recovery modes....

Let's assume there will be a newer kernel in sarge (unlikely). This
package would make sure you get it installed automagically, without
selecting it yourself.

> Will this new kernel make it easier to upgrade to etch??  Presumably etch official release is
> getting close now.....

Maybe somewhat easier. When (if?) you upgrade to etch read the release
notes carefully.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)