Re: New PC, new install, new problems!

> ==========================
> Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 10:36:39 -0300
> From: Bluesman <jbluesman@gmail.com>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: New PC, new install, new problems!
> ==========================
>
> Hi Mauro,
>
> Please sorry for my English...
>
> I tried a couple of recent Linux live-CDs (Knoppix 5.0 & latest
> Ubuntu, both
> > debian-based) and both failed to fully recognize my hardware.
> > Most notably the SATA disks were not seen.
>

> I have installed Ubuntu 6.06 on a machine with  SATA disk and
> it's working
> well. I did not need any parameters or drivers.
I know quite well that *SOME* SATA controllers are supported since day 1.
That is the reason I sent (in the original post) details about the various chipsets.
Does anyone know *specifically* that any of the mentioned chips will/won't work in debian (Etch)?
Does anyone know *specifically* that any of the mentioned chips needs such-and-such option in order to correctly work in debian (Etch)?
I'm referring mainly to the MB chipset (VIA P4M490) that's fairly new, but info about others (WiFi anyone?) would be *very* welcome.

TiA
Mauro