Re: kde's kwin killed - now problem with desktop 1

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 13:34:43 -0800
Tom Brown <brown@esteem.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My manager's computer hung up this morning. He's running sarge with
> two monitors. We ssh'd in from another computer and ran top. We saw
> an instance of kwin running that was hogging the cpu. We killed it.
> Now one of his desktops is acting poorly. When he opens a terminal
> there is no title bar. The pager show only a single desktop even
> though we configure it for six. kwinrc looks like this:

> [Desktops]
> Name_1=
> Name_2=
> Name_3=
> Name_4=
> Name_5=
> Name_6=
> Number=6
>
> [Desktops-screen-1]
> Name_1=
> Name_2=
> Name_3=
> Name_4=
> Name_5=
> Name_6=
> Number=6
>
> The problem desktop would be Desktops-screen-1. So, it looks like by
> killing the kwin process something got corrupted. I've looked through
> a lot of the rc files under ~/.kde/share/config and I don't see
> anything wrong. I could be missing something. Any ideas what may be
> corrupted or where I should be looking?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

Have you tried simply starting kwin again? I haven't used KDE for a
while, but IIRC, you do K-menu -> Run command -> enter "kwin". You
could also launch kwin from a terminal, of course, just to see what
happens, but it will probably be killed again when you close the
terminal.

--

Liam