Re: upgrading trashed my font display

Florian Kulzer on 28/11/06 16:37, wrote:
On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 01:04:13 +0000, Adam Hardy wrote:
Florian Kulzer on 27/11/06 16:50, wrote:
On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 01:46:25 +0000, Adam Hardy wrote:
This is the same in KDE, Gnome and Enlightenment. Can someone tell me where to start?
Does it look like the screenshot in this bugreport?

Yes it looks like this but I am only just now affected by it and the bug report says it has been fixed in kdebase/4:3.5.4-1, 4:3.5.0-1, and yet I'm
running

kdebase  4:3.5.5a.dfsg.1-1

I tried the $HOME/.qt/qtrc solution, but my settings are already set to what the fix is (enableXft=true, useXft=true)

I also tried switching the anti-aliasing off and back on in KDE Control Centre, but the fonts are so damaged, I could only find the "use anti-aliased fonts" to change, but not the "hinting style full".

You can also go back to a terminal (e.g. CTRL + ALT + F1) and edit your ~/.fonts.conf directly. Here is what mine looks like:
[snip]
You should shut down X and log out (or log out from [xgk]dm) before you change the file and then log in (and/or start X) again. If the fonts are still mangled then you should check if the Xft settings were committed to the
X resource database:

$ xrdb -query | grep Xft Xft.antialias:  1 Xft.hinting:    1 Xft.hintstyle:
hintfull Xft.rgba:       none

Hi Florian, thanks for the input.

I have no <dir> tag as you do. That .fonts dir doesn't exist on my machine. Otherwise the settings are the same as yours.

When I run xrdb -query, in x it gives no output, just returns to the cmd line. Outside x, it says "cant open display ''"

So this bug is still alive and kicking then? It's so bizarre. KDE is really up the creek. I'm getting to know enlightenment though :)

Adam