From: Douglas Tutty [mailto:dtutty@porchlight.ca]
Sent: Thu 11/16/2006 2:36 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: help! my usb keyboard works only slightly on install

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 07:23:50PM -0800, David Gluss wrote:
> I am installing on AMD64 using the netinst CD, from testing.  This has
> been happening (apparently just to me??) for months with various
> versions of the installer.  During various selections, such as "what
> is your hostname" and "what is your username" and "what is the root
> password", none of the keyboard letters work...it's as if "control" is
> held down all the time.  The numeric keypad will work though, but I
> can't get any regular key to work...the return key works, the arrow
> keys and tab works, so I can zip through the install using all default
> values but if I have to type something in, no go.  I got through this
> on my last install by plugging in a PS/2 keyboard, but now I'm
> installing on a machine (SUN x4100) that only has USB.  These are
> different keyboards I'm using, so it's not just the coffee I've
> dribbled in, but a real bug.  Except I don't see anyone else having it
> (that Google is showing me, anyway).  What's with that???

I don't own a USB keyboard so I don't know.  I've installed Etch amd64
on an AMD Athlon 64 on ASUS M2N-SLI.  I used a regular keyboard with no
problems.

I would suggest, first, that you submit an installation report for all
installes you did (or at least the most recent).  Second, that you ask
on the amd64 list.  Third is my usual suggestion:

For the SUN that doesn't take a PS/2 keyboard, use the one reliable
method:  use a serial console.  I know its old tech but it works.  Use
another computer as a terminal and set it to store the maximum of the
dialog so you have it for later.  Then see if the system finds the USB
keyboard once it boots into the new system.  If it doesn't, at least you
have an installed system to troubleshoot.

If the SUN doesn't have a serial port either, you can probably use a
USB/serial dongle.  However, I don't know if the kernel on the installer
has the usb-serial module.  Investigate this on the computer that takes
a ps2 keyboard, then you'll know what to pass the the kernel for the
console parameter.

Good luck.

Doug.