alsa: no master mixer control

Hi,
I have a hda-intel based soundcard, and alsa does not create a master volume
control. This is annoying as I want to use hotkeys to control my volume, but
it ends up controlling the "front" channel (no good).

Can I force alsa to create a master control?

If not, how are mixer devices accessed in C? What should I be looking for in
the code for hotkeys to change the mixer to something  like PCM which would
give me the result I want?

Anton
--
pgp key [0xB307BAEF], anton@piatek.co.uk,
fingerprint: 116A 5F01 1E5F 1ADE 78C6 EDB3 B9B6 E622 B307 BAEF