Re: cron-apt with no mta

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 04:31:38PM -0500, Rob Bochan wrote:
> Besides the config and security hassles of it, the machine's a P2-300 with 64
> meg ram. The GUI bogs it down enough, I can't imagine running an MTA on it as
> well.

An MTA is nothing.  Really.  I ran 5 domains (including mail, DNS,
apache, a lot of dynamic web content, etc.) plus my primary home server
off an original Pentium 100 (complete with F00F bug) and 64M RAM for
many years.  I upgraded it about 4 years ago, but only because the drive
controller on the motherboard finally burned out.  The vast majority of
the time, 95% of CPU time was unused and 90% of memory was cache/
buffers since there wasn't anything else to use that for, either.

I'm not familiar with nullmailer, but you can also apt-get install exim,
have it walk you through the smarthost config in five minutes, and then
forget that it's there.  I'm pretty sure the standard smarthost config
only accepts local mail, but, if you're really concerned about security,
you can add an iptables rule to block inbound port 25 to be extra-sure.

--
I would rather be exposed to the inconvenience attending too much Liberty
than those attending too small degree of it.