Re: cannot remove mysql-server-5.0

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 06:04:12PM -0800, Tom Brown wrote:
<snip>

> Hi Kev,
>
> Thanks for your reply. I think the packages db is really fubar. This is what I
> get when I try to install lsb-base:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install lsb-base
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> E: The package mysql-server-5.0 needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an
> archive for it.
>
> Does this mean there's no hope for my poor dev server? A fresh install
> wouldn't kill me. Although, if there is way out of this I'd like to know in
> case I run into this in the future on one of my production servers.
>
> Thanks,
Hi Tom,
uh... Is that the whole message? If not, show the message.

did it install lsb-base? if it did
install lsb-base and then it wants to reinstall 5.0, then you should get
the debs and put them on the system and reinstall them. Debian systems
should only need to be reinstalled in very rare cases. But if its just
for fun and learning, then by all means reinstall. But, takes notes on
paper to make re-installs faster.
Cheers,
kev