debian 3.1r3 netinstall cd couldn't be mounted

hello all,
i have a system with a gigabyte mobo (ga-965sp-s3) with intel Pentium-D 925 processor. i am trying to install debian stable (3.1 r3) using the netinstall cd. although the cd is read and i get the "press F1 for help or ENTER for boot:" message, the CDROM mounting step fails with the message "CDROM couldn't be mounted".
i tried the expert option and tried the steps given below.

could anyone pls. help?

some relevant details
================
1. the cd-rom drive is a ide dvd-writer.
2. the hard drive uses SATA.

many thanks in advance,
deva
"expert"
before the "detect & mount cdrom" step I started a shell
(<ctrl><alt><F2>)
and gave these commands
modprobe ide-core options="ide=nodma"
modprobe piix
modprobe ide-detect
Back in the main installer screen. I selected the
detect & mount cddrom
option. This took me to a long list of modules that autodetection
suggested were necessary.
I turned off all but these: ide-disk, ide-cd, isofs
when prompted to enter parameters for these modules,
I said "Y" but did not enter any parameters.
The modules loaded with no errors.