Re: Is a kernel upgrade necessary ?

I've just done almost exactly the same thing as you are contemplating (upgraded to sarge, then from 2.2.20idepci to 2.6.8-3-386). I used aptitude to install the new kernel and seemingly everything went well, but when I rebooted, it gets to the boot message "Starting periodic command scheduler: cron" and then it hangs. I am trying to figure this one out right now.
As an update to my problem: I have figured out (by removing S20pcmcia from /etc/rc2.d) that it is the pcmcia daemon that is causing the boot process to hang. I'm going to keep digging because this is teaching me a lot about debian.
Regards
Dave.