Re: Networking down but seems ok... ?!

Nicolas Pillot wrote:
The rest of the install went smooth, up to the apt-source selection.
Choosing any server in the list made the installation program hang up
to timeout. So i cancelled the package selection and finished the
install in order to examine what i thought was a networking problem.

When booting, i noticed a _huge_ delay between the "Starting MTA: "
and the display of "exim4.". Delay is about a minute. Then the second
part of the install finished and i have a bare running system.

I noticed i could not ping any server on the net, nor any host on my
network (even using its ip to skill the name resolving scheme). The
only ip that's answering is its own ip (198.168.0.3). I tried setting
up and down the interface, nothing new.

The hang at apt-source selection and the delay upon starting the MTA are because the network is unreachable, despite the fact that the network interface appears to be functional.

A quick and inexpensive work-around is simply to purchase a network card which is supported and is recognized automatically by Etch (such as Intel Pro-100 or 3Com 595TX; beware of Netgear).

Life is too short to squander upon hardware issues which readily can be circumvented.

RLH